Gary Land Company Building, Gateway Park, Fourth Avenue & Penn Street (moved from Broadway), Gary, Lake County, IN
Significance: The Gary Land Company Building which was constructed in 1906 was the first permanent structure in the City of Gary. The original purpose of the building was to house the offices of the Gary Land Company, a subsidiary of U.S. Steel Corporation. The Land Company was a real estate, city planning and engineering company whose role was to plan and supervise the construction of homes, streets and sanitary facilities of the new city. In addition, the building was the home of the City's first post office. The election for the vote on incorporation and the election of the first town officers was held at the Land Company Building. The building was also the first Town Hall and the first high school classes were held in the rear of the building.
Survey number: HABS IN-196