Governors Island, New York Arsenal, Storehouse No. 1, New York Harbor near Andes Road, New York, New York County, NY
- Upscale 2x6188x7680
Significance: This building was constructed as a storehouse after the extension of the boundary line of the New York Arsenal to Andes Road was approved in 1849. At that time there was a critical need for more storage space. The building, which stands on a small rise, overlooked the original main dock area and shifted the orientation of the arsenal from its earlier triangular configuration. It became a prominent landmark on the island as shown in historical photographs.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-365, FN-367
Survey number: HABS NY-5715-6B
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 85002435