Hancock-Clarke House, 35 Hancock Street, Lexington, Middlesex County, MA
Significance: The ell of this structure traditionally dates from 1698, when it was built by Reverend John Hancock. The front portion was built in 1734 by Thomas Hancock. Samuel Adams and John Hancock were staying here with Reverend John Clarke on the morning of April 19, 1775, when alerted by Paul Revere to the approach of the British troops. Threatened with demolition, the house was purchased and moved across the street from its original site in 1896 by the Lexington Historical Society. It has been restored and is opened to the public as a museum by the Society.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-318
Survey number: HABS MA-549
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 71000895