Market Street Elevated Railway, 69th Street Terminal, Market & Sixty-ninth Streets, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA
Significance: The terminal is the western endpoint of the railway. The opening of the terminal in 1907 enabled passengers to make connections between the elevated railway, westward trains, and street trolleys. The station is significant historically for its role in the suburban development of this area of Upper Darby Township, and architecturally for its design. Like many of the other stations along the Elevated, the terminal embodies the distinctive characteristics of a particular early 20th century architectural style. An example of Romanesque-style design, the building presents an impressive brick facade with a stone colonnade and decorative brickwork.
Survey number: HAER PA-507-A