Orange & Union Streets Neighborhood Study, 8-31 Orange Street, 9-21 Union Street & Stone Alley, Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
Significance: Part of one of the earliest sections of the town to be laid out, the dwellings span Nantucket's history from the mid-eighteenth century to 1925 and ie both on and below Quanaty Bank. / This neighborhood study considers buildings on Orange Street, Stone Alley and Union Street in the area known as Quanaty Bank. Orange Street was laid out in 1726. In 1730 the east slope of the hill was cut away with material used as fill in lowlands near the harbor and forming Union Street. Stone Alley, formerly Gunter Alley, was opened c. 1800. Architecture in this area reflects the wealth gained by 19th century whaling captains, but includes a number of pre-Revolutionary war dwellings.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-224
Survey number: HABS MA-1014
Building/structure dates: ca. 1795 Initial Construction