The Hoffman House, 123-131 Pennsylvania Avenue, Atlantic City, Atlantic County, NJ
- Upscale 2x7680x6154
Significance: The Holmhurst is the largest extant frame building in Atlantic City, and the last link to the gracious resort hotels which characterized Atlantic City as "America's Brighton." The hotel dates at least to 1890 and represents a second generation of resort development on its particular site, succeeding the "Seaside House" (1860-1888). The site itself constitutes one of the high points in the area was the place from which Dr. Jonathan Pitney, the founder of Atlantic City in 1845, declared that the area should become the "El Dorado of the Atlantic Coast."
Survey number: HABS NJ-925