Watertown Arsenal, Building No. 39, Wooley Avenue, Watertown, Middlesex County, MA
Significance: Watertown Arsenal's acquisition and conversion of Building No. 39 into scientific laboratories represents the Arsenal's final phase of twentieth century growth. During World War II, the arsenal expanded its industrial and research facilities through new construction and property acquisition. Building No. 39, which had been built in 1922 as a piano factory, sat on the last parcel of land bought by the Arsenal, and was incorporated into the facility as a series of offices, laboratories, and storage areas. In the years following World War II, large scale manufacturing was gradually eliminated at Watertown, and the Arsenal's primary mission became materials research. In 1953, Building No. 39 was converted into the Watertown Arsenal Laboratories, and continues in use today as one of AMTL's important research laboratories. Research conducted there has included structural analysis of components for the Jupiter Missile, structural integrity of nuclear projectile components, and presently includes solid mechanics technology.
Survey number: HAER MA-20-U
Building/structure dates: 1955
Building/structure dates: 1987 Demolished