Willard Hotel, 1401-1409 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
Significance: The New Willard hotel was designed at the turn of this century by Henry J. Hardenbergh, one of the country's most need hotel architects. It replaced the earlier "Willard Hotel" which had been built c. 1833. The first tow sections of the new hotel, completed in 1901 and 1904, are an adaptation of Beaux Arts eclecticism combined with Second Empire details, applied to a steel frame building. Washington architect, Walter G. Peter, repeated many of the same details when he designed the 1926 F Street addition. Both the original "Willard" and the New Willard hotel have a long history of entertaining Presidents, Vice-Presidents,and other important people.
Survey number: HABS DC-293