Architectural Remains, Unit B, Structure 110, Jamestown, James City County, VA
Significance: Evidence suggests that this structure served as a brewhouse and apothecary between ca. 1623 when it was constructed until ca. 1650 when it was destroyed. The work building was constructed by either Sir Francis Wyatt or Sir John Harvey. It was two bays, 22'6" x 24'6", likely with a clapboard frame and M roof covered in flat tiles, and resting on a raised hole-set or ground-standing foundation with brick footings and interrupted sills. The six brick footings housed an upright timber for the upper frame; these are suggested on the HABS drawings and more clearly described in the field notes of the archaeologists, John Cotter and Edward Jelks.
The brewhouse and apothecary was built with one boiler and a large fireplace. The interior space was not partitioned and the floor was paved. Two other boilers were added.
The site was excavated in 1954-55 and reexamined in 1993.
Survey number: HABS VA-444
Building/structure dates: ca. 1623 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1650 Demolished