Clay Spur Bentonite Plant & Camp, Bath House, Clay Spur Siding on Burlington Northern Railroad, Osage, Weston County, WY
Significance: The Clay Spur Bentonite Plant and Camp is associated with the early 20th century bentonite mining industry in Wyoming and the United States. The Clay Spur Bentonite District was the center of the pioneer Wyoming bentonite industry and remained the premier Wyoming producing district until reserves began to dwindle in the 1950s. The plant embodies the distinctive engineering technology of the bentonite industry. The camp also reflects early twentieth century company town architecture with simple buildings and floor plans that could be quickly and cheaply constructed and adapted to many different uses. The bath house is a one-story concrete and tile structure, with 32 feet east-west by 18 feet north-south, with a gable roof covered with asphalt shingles. It has a small gable-roofed addition, 10 feet east-west by 12.5 feet north-south, on the west elevation that is constructed of cinder blocks and tile. The exterior walls of the entire building are covered with stucco. The building rests on a concrete foundation and has a concrete floor. There is a stucco-covered brick exterior chimney on the south elevation. The building has four 3-light hinged windows with metal frames in the north and south elevations. There are two hinged six-light windows with metal frames in the east elevation. The interior contains a large changing room in the front (or east) portion and two showers, sinks, and commodes in the rear. There is a gas water heater and room heater, and the building is wired for electricity. The building was constructed between 1930 and 1934.
Survey number: HAER WY-23-D