Colorado County Courthouse, Courthouse Square, Columbus, Colorado County, TX
1993 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Second Place
Significance: Built in 1890 by prominent Texas architect Eugene T. Heiner, it is a production of the political atmosphere in Texas and the prosperity of the community in the late 19th century. The availability of state funding for each county to construct a courthouse encouraged a surge in courthouse architecture. It reflects the style of the period with its combination of French Second Empire, Renaissance Revival, and Italianate influences. The roof and tower of the courthouse were destroyed in a storm in 1909 and were replaced with Classical detailing and a center dome. At this time an interior stained glass dome. At this time an interior stained glass dome was placed in the district courtroom. This courthouse is an excellent example of an evolution of stylistic trends and has represented the focal point for Colorado County civic life for over 100 years.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N116
Survey number: HABS TX-3400