Dimling-Bolan Building, 428 Wood Street, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA
Significance: The Dimling-Bolan Building is a rare example of a commercial building designed in the Beaux Arts style in downtown Pittsburgh. After first housing a German restaurant, it housed Dimling's Candy Company until the mid-twentieth century, followed by Bolan Candies until the 1980s. The building anchors an historic commercial block at Wood and Forbes Avenue and is including in the Pittsburgh Downtown Retail National Register Historic District. The district originally included thirty-seven buildings along Fourth, Fifth, and Forbes Avenues; however, at least eleven of the buildings have been demolished. The district is significant in the areas of architecture and commerce and retains historic integrity in the areas of location, setting, materials, design, workmanship, feeling, and association. Although some original buildings have been demolished, the style, scale, and form of the remaining buildings retain integrity of design, workmanship, and association.
Survey number: HABS PA-6782
Building/structure dates: ca. 1904 Initial Construction