Dunker Church, Hagerstown & Smoketown Roads, Sharpsburg, Washington County, MD
Significance: Built in 1853 by members of the Church of the Brethren, the building was a focal point in the Battle of Antietam September 14-19, 1862. Although it collapsed during a storm in 1921, portions of the woodwork, including pews and bricks, were saved and will be included in the 1961 reconstruction of the building on its original foundation. These fragments are detailed in this set of drawings.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-124
Survey number: HABS MD-203
Building/structure dates: 1853 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1921 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000038