Fort Lawton, Guard House, Discovery Park, Seattle, King County, WA
Significance: The only non-residential building on the post that was always used for its original purpose. Architecturally intact. Demonstrates the most extensive use of embossed metal that remains on the post. Designed to hold 25 prisoners. Defines the northwest end of the oval parade ground and is partially surrounded by a brick court. Completed April 24, 1902, from QMGO Plan No. 30-E. Original cost: 11,881. One story plus partial basement frame structure with a sandstone and brick foundation. Dimensions: 49' x 47'. Lapped cedar siding. Pyramidal roof and frontal gable are faced with slate shingles. One central corbelled chimney. Six-over-six light, double hung windows, with one "Palladian" window in gable, all barred or heavy mesh sereened. Full width front porch has champfered posts, pipe railings. Interior remains in its original configuration. Two steel cages and three solitary cells in confinement room. Embossed metal ceilings (and walls in the confinement room) are exposed. Basement has brick piers and partitions. Platform installed in main guardroom (date unknown) and much electrical apparatus attached to exterior. Mineral oil lamps and yard lighting converted to electricity ca. 1908. Coal-fired steam heating system converted to oil.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-36
Survey number: HABS WA-150-Q
Building/structure dates: 1902 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1908 Subsequent Work