Fort McCoy, Building No. T-2165, South Eighth Avenue at North Terminus of South "H" Street, Sparta, Monroe County, WI
Significance: Building T-2165 is significant as an intact example of a Type WBKS-A Barracks. It is one of three Type WBKS-A Barracks built for the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps at Fort McCoy. Designed specifically for the women of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps, the buildings of this type at Camp McCoy incorporated the features determined by the Army to be desirable and necessary for use by women. Bathroom facilities were within the structure rather than as a separate building. Toilet partitions were provided, as were partitions and shower curtains around the showers. Bathtubs were also provided, a minimum of two tubs per 150 women, again with curtains to provide privacy. Laundry facilities within the building were also recommended and a large laundry room provided in Building T-2165. Window shades were another recommendation in an effort to provide WAACS with adequate privacy. Though the shades themselves are gone, the brackets which held them in place remain. The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps was established in May 1942. One year later, one female officer and twenty-one enlisted women arrived at Fort McCoy to serve as clerks, librarians, statisticians, typists, office managers, and members of the motor pool. Six barracks, two mess halls, and one combination recreation, supply, administration building were built to house these women. On September 30, 1943, the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps ceased to exist, having been superseded by the creation of the Women's Army Corps (WAC) on July 1, 1943.
Survey number: HABS WI-308-FL
Building/structure dates: 1942 Initial Construction