Georgia State Capitol, Capitol Square, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
Significance: This is the fourth capitol building owned by the State and has been in continuous use since its completion in 1889. Located atop a hill near downtown Atlanta, it previously contained the Atlanta City Hall and Fulton County Courthouse as well as one of the first city parks in Atlanta. The Capitol is a monumental classical dome and columned structure with a convincing atmosphere of architectural purity and design integrity. Several interior renovations have caused the loss of historic fabric, most notably the State Library, but overall the original design has not been altered. The exterior has been well-maintained and the building's monumentality was enhanced in 1959 when Georgia gold leaf was applied to the surface of the dome and lantern, adding a flourish to the somber, Neo-Classical-Renaissance Revival building. Today the grounds are filled with statuary and other memorials, as well as extensive landscape plantings. Still used as a state house, the Georgia State Capitol continues to be the prime architectural symbol of the state, representing over 100 years of colorful history. It has been a popular attraction for generations of Georgians and their visitors.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N248
Survey number: HABS GA-2109
Building/structure dates: 1889 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 71001099