Part of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Conservatory, 500 North Fifth Street, Hot Springs, Fall River County, SD

National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Conservatory, 500 North Fifth Street, Hot Springs, Fall River County, SD

description

Summary

The name of the overall site and some individual buildings were edited after the initial photographic survey was transmitted. Previously the site was incompletely called Battle Mountain Sanitarium, and this building was incorrectly called Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Greenhouse. The primary name was changed to National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Conservatory. Secondary names of Hot Springs Veterans Administration Medical Center, Building No. 16 and VA Black Hills Health Care System - Hot Springs Campus, Building No. 16 were added.
See overview historical context HABS SD-24 for additional information on the Battle Mountain Sanitarium and the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers.
Significance: The Conservatory was a support structure built for the Battle Mountain Sanitarium of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (NHDVS) in 1905-1907. Well-known Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball designed the Mission Revival hospital complex as well as a variety of support structures including the Conservatory. Prominent Kansas City landscape architect George Kessler prepared a landscape plan for the Sanitarium that included curved roads and ornamental plantings. The Conservatory was used to as a nursery to grow plants for the grounds. Many of the NHDVS branches included similar greenhouse facilities in order to inexpensively beautiful the landscape and provide therapeutic gardening work for veterans. The Conservatory was situated north of the main hospital complex, along the road to the adjacent veterans' cemetery on the hill. A artificial pond was created in front of the Conservatory to enhance the scenery. Only the center section of the Conservatory and a rear potting shed are extant; the side wings have been demolished.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2060
Survey number: HABS SD-24-H
Building/structure dates: 1905-1907 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1960 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 11000561

date_range

Date

1960
place

Location

fall river county
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Explore more

soldiers homes
greenhouses
veterans benefits
health care
wood structural frames
conservatories
cupolas
fall river county
renee bieretz
lisa pfueller davidson
paul davidson
daniel de sousa
office of construction and facilities management department of veterans affairs
emma greenberg
john henderson
jobie hill
historic american buildings survey
george kessler
thomas rogers kimball
catherine lavoie
patrick lyke
ryan pierce
douglas pulak
reynard and oak
james w rosenthal
kathleen schamel
mark schara
us department of veterans affairs
photo
disabled volunteer soldiers
battle mountain sanitarium
north fifth street
national home
hot springs
ultra high resolution
high resolution
architecture
south dakota
ornament