National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Treasurer's Quarters, 500 North Fifth Street, Hot Springs, Fall River County, SD
See HABS No. SD-24-S, East Campus Residential for photographs. See overview historical context HABS No. SD-24 for additional information on the Battle Mountain Sanitarium and the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers.
Significance: Built between 1903 and 1907, Battle Mountain Sanitarium of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (NHDVS) included a grouping of residential structures to house its staff. The NHDVS was a federal institution authorized by Congress in 1865 and charged with caring for Civil War veterans disabled by their military service. By 1930 the system had eleven branches and became part of the new Veterans Administration. The Battle Mountain Sanitarium was the tenth NHDVS facility and the only one built exclusively for medical care. Like military installations in this period, the NHDVS branches each had officers' quarters which resembled fashionable suburban architecture and were assigned according to the hierarchy of rank among the leadership.
Well-known Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball designed the Mission Revival hospital complex as well as the staff quarters. The Treasurer's Quarters, intended for the chief financial officer of the Sanitarium, was the second largest house after the Governor's Quarters. The Queen Anne-style Treasurer's Quarters were located with the smaller Engineer's and Quartermaster's Quarters along the residential loop road southeast of the main hospital. The Treasurer's Quarters was converted into a duplex during fiscal year 1929 in order to accommodate the growing number of medical professionals working on site.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2062
Survey number: HABS SD-24-W
Building/structure dates: 1906-1907 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1929 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 11000561