Newark International Airport, Administration Building, Brewster Road between Route 21 & New Jersey Turnpike Exchange No. 14, Newark, Essex County, NJ
Significance: Part of Newark International Airport, the Administration Building was the second at Newark Airport. Opened in 1935, the second Airport Administration Building was one of the first advanced, second-generation airport terminal building types of its kind. With its convex, linear plan, it was a building prototype upon which subsequent airport terminals were based. A number of centralized passenger and service functions were located in the 1935 Airport Administration Building, including a weather bureau, air-traffic control tower, air-traffic control center, and hotel rooms. The control center was the first of its kind in the nation. The City of Newark, in conjunction with the federal New Deal CWA and WPA agencies built the building. At one time, it contained a series of ten WPA sponsored canvas murals painted by Arshile Gorky. During the 1930s and 1940s, the 1935 Airport Administration Building stood in the center of one of the world's busiest airports.
Survey number: HAER NJ-133-B
Building/structure dates: 1934-1935 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1955 Subsequent Work