Ormiston House, Reservoir Drive, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA
- Upscale 2x7680x5490
Significance: Erected by Edward Burd in 1798, Ormiston is a well-preserved part of the villa group that developed along Edgeley Point Lane in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Early documentation fo the orchard and formal garden that once graced Burd's Arcadian retreat placed Ormiston more clearly within the context of its original landscape than is possible with any of the surrounding villas. Along with similar properties, Burd's estate was purchased by the City of Philadelphia during the mid-nineteenth-century formation of Fairmount Park. The benefits of a landscape that had once attracted exclusive private development were thus extended to the public at large.
Survey number: HABS PA-187
Building/structure dates: 1798 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 72001151