Peter Folger House, 51 Centre Street, Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
Significance: "3-decker" residence very unusual for Nantucket. House was owned and occupied by Folger family from 1765 to 1955. / 1678-The proprietors laid out Wesco AcreLots. The Fifth Squadron, Third Lot Northward, was granted to Edward Starbuck. 1679-Edward Starbuck deeded his division in Wesco to his son-in-law, William Gayer. 1789-Nathaniel Coffin, grandson of William Gayer, deeded a portion of his grandfather's estate to Peter Folger. 1808-Peter Folger has built his three story, flat roofed house by this time. Some minor additions had also been made by this time including a gable roof, kitchen ell and entry vestibule. 1906-Frederick Willet Folger, grandson of Peter Folger, deeded the estate to Ruper Folger his son. 1923-The rear porch addition had been completed by this year. 1941-At his death, Rupert Folger left the Folger homestead to his wife, Bertha. His son, Peter, was to received the home at his mother's death. 1943-Peter Folger was killed in World War II, the last of six generations of Folgers to live in the house. 1972-Carol B. Masters deeded the home to Marjorie Credo Baker, the present owner.
Survey number: HABS MA-924
Building/structure dates: 1765 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1815 Subsequent Work