Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 64, Rodman Avenue between Second & Third Streets, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large, Greek Revival, manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. Under construction from 1874 to 1878, Shop F was the sixth to be completed. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Shop F forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. In addition to their architectural importance, the Rodman shop buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line," nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Shop F is part of the Rock Island National Register Historic District.
Survey number: HAER IL-20-C
Building/structure dates: 1878 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1879 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1901 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000057