Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
  • account_boxLogin
Sturgis House, Occohannock Creek, Jamesville, Northampton County, VA

Sturgis House, Occohannock Creek, Jamesville, Northampton County, VA

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall640x511
  • save_altMedium1024x818
  • save_altOriginal1024x818
  • photo_size_select_largeUpscale 2x2048x1636
description

Summary

Significance: The Eastern Shore of Virginia was first explored by Captain John Smith in 1608. Colonization of the area was begun in 1616 by Englishmen interested in establishing salt and fishing industries. The County of Northampton was formed in 1632 from the lower part of Accomac County and it was from this southernmost tip of the peninsula that settlers moved northward along the Chesapeake Bay's eastern shoreline. The land on which Mattissippi now stands was granted to (Col.) Thomas Johnson in a patent for 1,000 acres in 1647. Colonel Johnson's will of December 1658 left "Mattassippy Neck where I now live upon" to his eldest son Obedience. The following January one William Ward deposed that "Wm Cosiar built a house at Colonel Thomas Johnson(s)." In 1709 Obedience Johnson left "the plantation called Mattissippi" to his son also named Obedience. It would appear from the above excerpts from the county records that there was a house on Mattissippi Plantation at least as early as 1658. It seems unlikely however, from the architectural evidence available that the present house could have been built prior to the last decade of the seventeenth century. Mattissippi is a classic example of the inside-end-chimney, "two-room Virginia plan." Built entirely of oversized, locally made brick, the house is used by Thomas T. Waterman in his book ,Dwellings of Colonial America, as typical of its type.
Survey number: HABS VA-547

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
place

Location

jamesville37.51513, -75.93049
Google Map of 37.5151334, -75.9304889
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Exploreoccohannock creek

Exploreoccohannock

Exploresturgis house

Library Of Congress

The objects in this archive are from Library of Congress - the nation’s first established cultural institution and the largest library in the world, with millions of items including books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections. The Library provides Congress, the federal government and the American people with a rich, diverse and enduring source of knowledge to inform, inspire and engage them and support their intellectual and creative endeavors.

Disclaimer: A work of the Library of Congress is "a work prepared by an officer or employee" of the federal government "as part of that person's official duties." In general, under section 105 of the Copyright Act, such works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under U.S. law and are therefore in the public domain. This website is developed as a part of the world's largest public domain archive, PICRYL.com, and not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress, https://www.picryl.com

Developed by GetArchive, 2015-2020