Texas & Pacific Railroad Passenger Depot, 800 North Washington Street, Marshall Northeast, Harrison County, TX
STORED ON SITE. mchr
2012 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: In 1873 Texas and Pacific Railroad acquired authority to lay tracks from Marshall to Texarkana. With the establishment of the shops and general offices in this same year, Marshall became the Eastern Terminus for the T&P. The Mission Revival style depot was begun in 1908 and dedicated October 26, 1912. Major alterations were made in 1939 when an access tunnel was constructed linking the Ginocchio Hotel parling area with the Depot basement. Little exterior work was done in connection with these alterations that had and significant impact on the 1908 – 1912 appearance. The Depot represents the history of Marshall more aptly than any other building or site in the city. Is it the literal and figurative symbol of the one industry that has contributed more to the livelihood of several generations of Marshallites than any other industry.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1910
Survey number: HABS TX-3562
Building/structure dates: 1908 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1939 Subsequent Work