The Landscapes of the Battlefield of Franklin, Tennessee, The Carter House, 1140 Columbia Avenue, Franklin, Williamson County, TN
Significance: The Carter House was built in 1830 by Fountain Branch Carter. At the time, the town of Franklin was small, and the house and farm were surrounded by a rural setting. The Federal style brick farmhouse had several accompanying structures: a one-frame farm office, a smokehouse, and a kitchen. Consisting of 288 acres, the Carter farm produced a variety of crops, including corn, grain, and cotton, worked by 28 slaves who lived and worked on the farm. A cotton gin, built in the 1850s, no longer stands today.
Survey number: HALS TN-7-B
Building/structure dates: ca. 1830 Initial Construction