14 North Warren Street (Commercial Building), True American Building, Trenton, Mercer County, NJ
Significance: The True American, a Trenton newspaper founded in 1801, was published in this building from 1893 until it went out of business in 1913. This is the only remaining building associated with the long-lived paper, and the name has been popularly connected to this structure throughout the 20 century. Following the demise of the newspaper, the building was used by the Trent Press, publishers of Trenton's City Directories for many years, and for a time, the New Jersey legislative manuals.
During the ownership of the True American, an elaborate galvanized metal facade was added to the building, updating the existing brick structure to Classical Revival taste. This is the largest and finest architectural metal facade applied to a building in Trenton, a technique which was generally limited to first floor storefronts or cornice embellishment at the turn of the century.
Survey number: HABS NJ-958
Building/structure dates: 1830 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1892 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after 1920 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1987 Demolished