Alabama Theatre, 1811 Third Avenue North, Birmingham, Jefferson County, AL
Significance: The Alabama Theatre, designed by Chicago architects Graven & Mayger, was erected in 1927 by Paramount's Publix Theatre chain as its flagship theatre for the southeastern region of the United States, and is among the finest theatres of the period in the southeast. The theatre is a composite of Spanish Renaissance and Baroque details; as seen in the exterior details, it appears to have been modeled after a Spanish villa. The interior of the theater, however, included elements of a variety of styles, as was typical of the whimsical nature of Movie Palaces built during the pre-Depression hey-day. Illustrative of this is the tremendous variety of architectural elements found throughout the theatre, and in the different styled lounges: the ladies Adamesque and Chinese tearoom lounges, and the gentlemen's (Tudor) College and Hunting rooms. Originally seating 2,500, it accommodated both live theatre, and movieplays accompanied by the Wurlitzer Organ. The Alabama Theatre was the crown jewel of the Birmingham Theatre district (a National Register district). At one time, these streets were lined with large theaters featuring everything from vaudeville to performing arts, nickelodeons to large first-run movie palaces. Hugh marquees lit the streets at night and billboards advertised the current attractions. The "Alabama" is the only theater still operating today; only one other still stands.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N324
Survey number: HABS AL-982
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 89000315