Carter's Grove, U.S. Route 60 vicinity, Williamsburg, Williamsburg, VA
For additional documentation, see also HALS VA-75.
Significance: Carter's Grove was built by Carter Burwell, grandson of Robert "King" Carter, between 1749 and 1756. David Minetree, a Williamsburg brick mason, was the master builder; John Wheatley of Williamsburg was the carpenter. Richard Baylis was brought from England in 1752 to complete the interior woodwork. The Burwell family owned Carter's Grove until 1838. Thereafter it belonged to a succession of owners. T.P. Bisland connected the kitchen to the main house and made other alterations in 1907. In 1928 Mr. and Mrs. Archibald M. McCrea with W. Duncan Lee, architect, raised the roof, adding a third floor; widened the kitchen and office; and connected both dependencies to the main house. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation now owns Carter's Grove.
Survey number: HABS VA-351
Building/structure dates: 1751 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1928 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000249