Corvallis Downtown Historic District, Bounded by First & Sixth Streets, Van Buren & Western Avenues, Corvallis, Benton County, OR
Significance: The Corvallis Downtown Historic District is locally significant as a commercial and social center in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. The district reflects the commercial growth of the city, as well as regional economic and transportation development during the 19th and 20th centuries. The Corvallis Downtown Historic District encompasses significant historic resources dating from c. 1856 to 1950 that illustrate the growth of the city as a shipping center, college community and county seat of Benton County. The predominantly two and three-story buildings within the district are primarily of brick masonry construction illustrating typical Commercial detailing, consisting mostly of overhanging cornices, segmental and flat arched window openings, and large storefront windows and entrances typical of the period. The commercial and industrial buildings were, and continue to be, used for retail, banking, general office, warehousing, and government uses.
Survey number: HABS OR-183
Building/structure dates: after. 1856- before. 1950 Initial Construction