Estate Clifton Hill, Sugar Factory & Rum Distillery, South Central Street, Christiansted, St. Croix, VI
Significance: Estate Clifton Hill produced cane sugar and rum from its initial settlement in the early 1750s to about 1900. An animal mill was in use to crush sugar cane by 1754 and was replaced a few years later by a windmill which in turn was replaced by a steam engine ordered in 1868. This engine was scrapped about 1900. Axel Hoffman reopened Estate Clifton Hill as a rum distillery about 1915 with extensive modifications to the existing factory (originally built in 1808) and with a steam mill manufactured in the early 1880s by D. Stewart and Sons, Glasgow, Scotland...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-7
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-1
Survey number: HAER VI-4
Building/structure dates: 1808 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1915 Subsequent Work