Octagon House, Ice House, 1799 New York Avenue, Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
1993 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: The Octagon, designed by Dr. WIlliam Thornton, architect of the U.S. Capitol Building and other Washington structures, was built by Colonel John Tayloe III between 1799 & 1801 as a winter town house...The house was an important center of social life in the capitol's earliest years, visited often by Presidents and others of note, and served as the residence for President and Dolley Madison after the burning of the White House by the British in the War of 1812. The Treaty of Ghent ending the war was signed in the house...The house is currently owned by the American Architectural Foundation and administered as an accredited museum. The building and site are a registered National Historic Landmark.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N142
Survey number: HABS DC-808
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000863