Beekman House, East California Street, Jacksonville, Jackson County, OR
Significance: In July 1870, Cornelius Beekman and his wife acquired the lot their house stands on from W.A. and Julia Owen, who in turn later purchased the house the Beekmans had previously owned. In the 1870's, there was a row of large houses on the south side of California Street, including two buildings housing the academy run by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary and the residence of Alexander Martin. The house Beekman built, probably soon after 1870, is unusual only in being sited at right angles to the main street. The entrance facade of the story and a half building is three bays with a central doorway covered by a porch with lattice-work supports and a balustraded roof. A tall, steeply pitched central gable breaks the line of the eaves, which are devoid of bargeboards or other elaboration. The rear ell has a facade facing the street, with a two-bay porch similar in design to the entrance porch. Corner boards with pilaster caps, a wide fascia under the eaves, and a minor decorative motif in the window architraves are the only elaborations to the body of the house. Unlike other houses in Jacksonville, however, the outbuildings have been preserved; the outkitchen, spring house, and privy stand south of the house. The house is now owned by the Southern Oregon Historical Society and is open to the public; the Society also acquired the Beekmans' furnishings.
Survey number: HABS OR-60