City of Paris Dry Goods Company, Geary & Stockton Streets, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA
Significance: The building was one of the earliest examples in San Francisco of a large commercial structure designed in the Beaux-Arts style, using steel framing and masonry wall infill for its basic structure. It was burnt out and partially destroyed by the earthquake and fire of April 1906, and was reconstructed. Two institutions important to the history and development of the City occupied it from 1896 to 1906: The Spring Valley Water Company and the City of Paris Dry Goods Company. From 1909, the City of Paris Dry Goods Company was the principal (later the sole) tenant.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-91
Survey number: HABS CA-2019
Building/structure dates: 1896 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1909 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after 1920 Subsequent Work