Fort David A. Russell, Randall Avenue west of First Street, Cheyenne, Laramie County, WY
Significance: Established in 1867 to provide military protection for the Union Pacific Railroad, Fort David A. Russell continued to function and expand as a military post long after the threat of Indian depredations had declined in the late 1870s. The Department of War declared it a permanent post in 1882, later authorizing construction of the first substantial brick buildings. These were followed in subsequent years by a growing array of substantial brick and frame structures designed to house the officers, enlisted men, and their livestock, ordnance and equipment. In 1902, and again in 1905, the garrison at Fort D.A. Russell was expanded, necessitating construction of expanded facilities. This intensive construction program continued until 1913, with the peak construction occurring between 1908 and 1910. At its conclusion, some 150 new structures of varying sizes, functions and materials had been built at Fort D.A. Russell. Entailing many of the post's most prominent buildings and parade grounds, it virtually transformed the fort's architectural and landscape character.
Survey number: HABS WY-117
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000191