Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
Magruder House, 4703 Annapolis Road (Bladensburg Road), Bladensburg, Prince George's County, MD

Magruder House, 4703 Annapolis Road (Bladensburg Road), Bladensburg, Prince George's County, MD

 
 
description

Summary

Significance: The Hilleary-Magruder House is the only extant stone house executed in the Tidewater style in Prince George's County. A mid-18th century, one-and-a-half story, stone gambrel-roof structure, it reflects residential forms of the early settlement period in the country. It was most likely one of the earliest extant residences of substantial construction in Prince George's, as opposed to the less durable wood-frame structures typical of periods of early settlement. It appeared in Bladensburg at about the same time that the town was established by the General Assembly of Maryland in an effort to encourage trade and commerce. It is also significant as one of only four structures existing from pre-Revolutionary War Bladensburg (the other three are Bostwick-HABS No. MD-616, the Market Master's house and Washington Tavern). Historically, the house is connected with prominent Prince George's personages. It was also reportedly visited by George Washington (1787), and British troops during the battle of Bladensburg.
Survey number: HABS MD-616
Building/structure dates: 1743-1746 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1981-1982 Subsequent Work

date_range

Date

1933 - 1970
person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Prince George's Heritage, Incorporated
Wollon, James Thomas
Rothrock, Gail, field team
Pearl, Susan G, field team
Klugh, T, transmitter
Brostrup, John O, photographer
Boucher, Jack, photographer
Lavoie, Catherine C, historian
place

Location

Bladensburg (Md.)38.93908, -76.94130
Google Map of 38.9390774, -76.9412995
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html