Norfolk City Hall & Courthouse, 421 East City Hall Avenue, Norfolk, Norfolk, VA
Significance: Norfolk became an independent city by Act of Assembly in 1845. Almost immediately thereafter, the City Council and citizens began planning the construction of a new City Hall building and courthouse which would house new municipal offices and, simultaneously, symbolize Norfolk's new status and prosperity. This building served as the city hall from 1850 until 1918 and as a courthouse only until 1960. In 1961, the interior was substantially remodeled to provide a memorial and tomb for General Douglas A. MacArthur. The structure was originally designed by William R. Singleton, a Portsmouth native and St. Louis architect, with assistance from Thomas U. Walter. It has been described as one of Virginia's best remaining Classical Revival buildings.
Survey number: HABS VA-32
Building/structure dates: ca. 1850 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: after 1960 Subsequent Work