Pemberton Mill, Union Street vicinity, Lawrence, Essex County, MA
Significance: The first Pemberton Mill building was constructed in 1853 by the Essex Land and Water Company. The building was completed in 1855 and the Pemberton Manufacturing Company produced staple cotton goods in it until January 10, 1860 when the structure collapsed, killing 88 persons and injuring approximately 300 others of the more than 600 operatives in the mill at the time. The ruins of the building were sold at auction, and a new mill was constructed on the same site in 1860. This mill, which is the one that exists today, is a fine example of mid-19th century cotton textile mill construction.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-191
Survey number: HABS MA-989