United States Hotel, California & Third Streets, Jacksonville, Jackson County, OR
Significance: The present United States Hotel, built in 1878-80, stands on the site of a previous frame hotel known variously as the Robinson House, the Union Hotel, and the United States Hotel. In 1853, Jesse Robinson claimed "by preemption and actual occupation" most of block three with the Robinson House; later in that year, he mortgaged the property to John Layton and John Woodruff and, before paying the mortgage fully, remortgaged it to John Layton. The mortgage was satisfied by selling the hotel to Layton in April, 1855; Layton in turn sold it to Austin Badger and Nelson Smith, who changed the name to the Union Hotel. In 1856, Smith sold his interest to Badger, who became the sole proprietor.
Survey number: HABS OR-124
Building/structure dates: 1880 Initial Construction