U.S. Naval Air Station, Marine Barracks, 232 East Avenue, Pensacola, Escambia County, FL
Significance: Building No. 18 was constructed a General Storehouse for the Bureau of Construction and Repair between 1881 and 1882. Although a specific architect has not been identified for the building, it is probable that plans were developed by the Bureau of Yards and Docks (BuDocks). The massing, materials, and design of the former storehouse are similar to other buildings erected during the post- Civl War period at the Pensacola Navy Yard, and the structure illustrates the utilitarian design and sound construction typified by other vernacular buildings of the period...The building has served continually in support of DON's mission, first as General Storehouse and then as Barracks for the Pensacola Navy Yard, and later as an Aircraft Storehouse, Photography School, Electronics Shop, and command offices for tenants of Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola.
Despite numerous alterations to its interior and exterior fabric, Building No. 18 remains recognizable as a good example of vernacular architecture adapted for military use, and it is compatible in form, massing, and scale to the original 1882 design. It provides a tangible link to the reconstruction of the Pensacola Navy Yard in the post-Civil War period. Building No. 18 is located in the southeastern section of NAS Pensacola, within the boundaries of the Pensacola Naval Air Station Historic District, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The National Park Service designated this district as a National Historic Landmark (NHL) in 1976...
Survey number: HABS FL-246
Building/structure dates: 1881 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1900 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 76000595