Campbell Union Grammar School, 11 East Campbell Avenue, Campbell, Santa Clara County, CA
- Upscale 2x7680x6040
Significance: An extensive statement of significance is made in the Nomination Form for the National Register of Historic Places concerning this building. A few highlights from that statement: Four school districts combined to form the Campbell Union School District in 1920. In 1921 voters approved a bond issue and the school became the first grammar school built by the new district. William H. Weeks, the architect, although relatively unknown, designed more schools in Northern California during the period 1884-1936 than any other architect. He considered Campbell Grammar School to be one of his best designs. The school has been a focal point for the community since it was built. The auditorium was built larger than necessary for the student body in order to accommodate community meetings. For 24 years between 1922 and 1946 this was the only grammar school in the district.
Survey number: HABS CA-2207
Building/structure dates: 1922 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1926 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1929 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 79000544