Faro de Punta Tuna, Punta Tuna, Emajagua, Maunabo Municipio, PR
Significance: The Punta Tuna Lighthouse was constructed as a third order lighthouse that showed a white light with a group of two flashes. It served as the most eastern primary light that terminated the Island's southern light belt, and, and the same time, was the southern light that formed the Island's eastern light belt. This was formed by another primary light, Cabo San Juan, and three minor lights (Puerto Ferro, Punta Mulas, and Isla Culebrita). The structure, built around the tower, was the dwelling for one first class and a third class keeper. The main entrance of the brick and stone building, 27.7 x 12.4 x 5.5 mts., faces east. The interior responds into a vestibule, 6.2 x 4.65 mts., where the entrance to the tower is found. (A small hall at the entrance was built afterwards, perhaps in the 1950s.) At both sides of the vestibule there were two corridors: one led to the storeroom that connected with the oil room behind the tower; another led into the engineer's room. The vestibule also connected both keepers' quarters, which were identical: one 4.65 x 4.65 mts. living room; two 3.6 x 4.65 mts. bedrooms; one small (3.2 x 1.9 mts.) storeroom; one kitchen-dining area (3.6 x 3 mts.); and one bathroom (1.5 x 3.6 mts.).
Survey number: HAER PR-9
Building/structure dates: 1893 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1927 Subsequent Work