Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
Montpelier, 13480 South Montpelier Road, Montpelier Station, Orange County, VA

Montpelier, 13480 South Montpelier Road, Montpelier Station, Orange County, VA

 
 
description

Summary

Significance: Montpelier is situated on land granted by patent in 1723 to Ambrose Madison and his brother-in-law Thomas Chew. The patent was divided in 1732 at the death of Ambrose. The Madison family progeny, James Madison, Sr., was heir to 2850 acres of the land. The original house on the patent no longer exists. A later larger house, the central portion of the existing house, was occupied in 1755 and completed by 1760. Comparative analysis of the existing house shows the original building was approximately 75 x 33 feet with two stories and basement. The original five bay configuration included two rooms arranged on either side of the central hallway. Much of the original fabric of this house, specifically mantels, panelled walls, doors and jambs, and a few windows, remains. By 1801, President James Madison, Jr. had become owner and added a portico, a bay to the east, and refinished the exterior in stucco. Single story wings with a delicate Chippendale rail on the parapets and a long porch across the rear facade were added before 1813. Records indicate the architects were James Dinsmore & John Neilson; both previously commissioned by Thomas Jefferson to remodel Monticello and later called to Charlottesville to help Jefferson design and construct the Lawn and Ranges of the University of Virginia. James Madison's wife Dolley became owner of Montpelier upon Madison's death, but in 1844 sold the estate to satisfy her son's creditors. During the following years the estate passed among several title holders; none of them significantly changed the structure until F. Carson occupied Montpelier from 1857-1863. Mr. Carson reworked the portico to its present configuration in an attempt to give the house better proportion. Through the Civil War period the house remained remarkably unscathed. Several records of visits by soldiers during the Civil War give an excellent account of the house and grounds during that era. In 1901 ownership passed to William DuPont, who enlarged the house to its present configuration. Life tenancy was given in 1928 to William's daughter, Marion DuPont Scott, who completed minor remodeling work to some of the rooms. These modifications include the exercise studio for her husband, actor Randolph Scott, and the "LA Modern" red room with mirrored walls, completed by 1930. Mrs. Scott left most of the house very much as she received it. She devoted much of her energy to breeding some of the world's finest race horses, among them "Battleship" and "Annapolis," both sired by the famous "Man o' War."
Survey number: HABS VA-1214
Building/structure dates: 1755 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1760 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1801 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1813 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1863 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1901 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000843

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Dinsmore, James, builder
Neilson, John, builder
James, Madison, Jr., owner
place

Location

Montpelier Station38.22897, -78.17676
Google Map of 38.2289666, -78.1767587
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Library Of Congress

The objects in this archive are from Library of Congress - the nation’s first established cultural institution and the largest library in the world, with millions of items including books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections. The Library provides Congress, the federal government and the American people with a rich, diverse and enduring source of knowledge to inform, inspire and engage them and support their intellectual and creative endeavors.

Disclaimer: A work of the Library of Congress is "a work prepared by an officer or employee" of the federal government "as part of that person's official duties." In general, under section 105 of the Copyright Act, such works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under U.S. law and are therefore in the public domain. This website is developed as a part of the world's largest public domain archive, PICRYL.com, and not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress, https://www.picryl.com

Developed by GetArchive, 2015-2021