U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Naval Housing Area Makalapa, Northeast of Kamehameha Highway & Radford Drive intersection, Pearl City, Honolulu County, HI
Significance: The Makalapa neighborhood is significant as an example of military housing built just before the United States' entry into World War II, reflecting the build-up of defenses and the related need for housing in the early 1940s. This housing also reflects the trends toward prefabrication and assembly-line techniques in building during this period when the need for rapid construction was so urgent. The neighborhood is also significant because it embodies the distinctive characteristics of the period of military construction just before and during World War II. Also, the buildings were designed by C. W. Dickey, one of Hawaii's master architects, and are further significant as one of his last works, since he died in April 1942. The Makalapa neighborhood is also a significant and distinguishable entity that relates to the context of pre-World War II military community planning in Hawaii. Furthermore, these houses were home to the top Navy officers that directed the war in the Pacific from December 1941 through August 1945.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2164
Survey number: HABS HI-355
Building/structure dates: 1941-1942 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000940