Fort Riley, Building No. 24, 24 Sheridan Avenue, Riley, Riley County, KS
Significance: Quarters #24 is one of only four buildings remaining from the initial phase of construction at Fort Riley in the 1850s. Constructed in 1855, this was one of the six double quarters built to house the officers of the cavalry. All were built from similar designs and from local, hand-cut, smooth faced ashlar limestone, as opposed to the machine-cut, rock-faced stone used in the later constructed quarters. Building No. 24's simple, unadorned design reflects the pioneering spirit of the early years at Fort Riley. Later buildings were larger and more complex in design.
Survey number: HABS KS-54-A
Building/structure dates: 1855 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1865 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74000837